August 20, 2012

A Deerly Loved Encounter.

A friend posted a lovely deer photo which leads me to do my own. I love deer very much.  Geordie and I were hiking up at the side of Grouse Mountain when a lovely doe came out of the tall grass and stepped towards us. She was followed by her 1-2 week old fawn. We backed off down the road quietly so we would not disturb them but they ended up walking right by!
The doe headed down this rock pile. Unfortunately some Italian tourists got really excited and loud and scared the doe and got her all tense. I tried to tell them to give her space but they didn't understand. Their kids also got really close and agitated the poor mother further. I was worried the doe was going to attack for a moment as she clearly felt a threat to her baby. The situation was not helped when someone on a jeep drove by at speed which spooked the baby who ran from her mom. Geordie and I called at the driver to slow but he revved by at speed.
I don't know if they got back together. We could hear her calling for her baby and sadly she headed in the wrong direction to find it. The baby was probably new enough to have not much scent yet. I am sure they found each other again. So lesson for today is to remember wildlife is fantastic and often completely adorable but they need their space. Observe but give them room. If someone isn't doing this try to stop them before an accident happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment