July 18, 2012

Puttin' the Fun in Fungus

So I've gotten into mushrooms lately. I want to know which ones I can eat, pickle, saute or make certain hallucinogenic tea out of. I also want to know which ones will not make my duodenum try to exit out my left ear.  So to that effect I got a book and made poor Geordie take pictures of fungi! I am not yet perfect on my IDs so if anyone thinks something is different I really want to know.   The one below I believe is a Red-Belted Polypore a very tough fungus. Inedible.
NO idea what that cute yellow one is. Some kind of Stropharia maybe. Didn't taste it just poked it a bit. If you know type me a note!
This is not a wet pile of bear crap. It is this very hard shiny black fungus on a fallen tree. Maybe a disease sort of thing. Again I don't know. It was very prevalent in this one area of fallen trees. Conifers. Spruce and some ceder in the area. So mushrooming is a challenge. I am not yet confident of my IDs but pretty sure I ID'd some nommable morels and a huge chanterelle in the Chilcotins that I could probably have picked  and sold to a restaurant for $$$. In the meantime I will continue to learn my shroomies!

No comments:

Post a Comment