October 6, 2013

BCIT - First Month In

 So its been a full month since I decided to trade in a regular paycheck for a backpack of books and the hope that a few years from now it will all be worth it. Thus far BCIT has been a very good experience even if I am 8-15 years older than most everyone else in my class. The campus itself is nice without being sprawling and the majority of our classes are in a handful of buildings, so after the first week of disorientation passed it has been pretty easy to find my way around.
 The classes are divided into lectures and labs with lectures taking place in large halls like the one shown below. The finance intake for the year was several hundred students so we are divided into 'sets' of around 30 people. Lectures will contain 4-6 different sets and labs are more focused on a single set with more attention and back-and-forth with the teacher. Labs are typically in small classrooms which I have skipped a picture of since they are identical to any classroom you've ever had in your life. And yes, I am a big nerd and sit in the first few rows of every class, so this photo is not my typical perspective on lectures ;)
The first words out of the Deans mouth on the first day were "midterms are just 5 weeks away" and we've already had a number of high-stakes tests and midterms with 2 more to go in the coming week. So far I think I have done well on all the tests and I'm keeping my head above water with my reading and homework. Its nice that I can focus on my studies and not work until summer since the courseload is pretty heavy but there are a few people in my set working 20+ hours a week who I do not envy much.

1 comment: