September 4, 2013

So Long Visual Effects!

 Many of you have heard about this for the past 18+ months, but for those of you that don't already know, I am attempting the often dreamed of but rarely executed Plan B of Visual Effects.... going back to school and trying to learn something else to pay the bills while hoping its a step up. My good friend Jason Booth made a demotivational poster much like the one below in 2005 during Superman Returns which was widely accepted as one of the most toxic and badly managed vfx productions of its time.
 Jason moved on to other things not long after but many of us have stuck it out for years. I moved to Vancouver and worked in a bunch of shops, every time thinking that the next one would be the one that had things under control and didn't crush you with overtime and mismanagement. I have since likened it to the scenario of complaining that all the male crackheads you've had as room mates keep stealing your stuff and hopefully living with a female crackhead will solve the problem.

The issue is not the gender, its the fact that you're dealing with a bunch of crackheads.
Beyond the long hours and the unstable working routine, the average compositor workstation no longer appeals to me and seems to get darker by the year. The picture below is without exaggeration what most companies are like these days. Staring into a bright monitor in a black windowless room for 9-14 hours a day. Blech.
Not that VFX was all bad. I met some great friends, learned a lot of cool computer tricks and have my name attached to dozens of movies with varying levels of watchability, but its time for me to have a change. It was a fun job in my 20s, a frustrating job in my 30s and not something I want to entertain in my 50s. All the very best to my many friends that continue to stick it out in the dog-eat-dog business, you're doing great work. It just needs to be 3% less cyan and feel a little less janky... and its cut.... ;)

5 comments:

  1. A few months ago, I was listening to the Friends In Your Head podcast entitled 'Is The VFX Industry Imploding', and I was wondering if something like this was gonna happen. Well, I really can't blame you, sir :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen brother!! Good for you! I am so happy to hear that your next chapter has begun and also happy im not the only compositor who feels the same way as you. Thank to vfx we met so I have that to say but otherwise good luck and I hope this takes you somewhere that will make you infinitely happier :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" Says Eugene ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you George. I'm looking forward to reading of your future adventures. And if in that future we still can't have flying cars, at least you'll have retained the ability to make it LOOK like we have flying cars.

    ReplyDelete