August 20, 2011

A Film Legacy

This summer is a milestone time for me in film. For better or worse not only have I been working in film visual effects for a decade now, but having just completed a contract on Friday, this summer I have now officially worked on more movies than I have lived years. Now many of them are terrible and my contributions to them are tiny, but each one is still a personal involvement which soaked dozens if not hundreds of hours of my life to make.
Now there's a few fun things I found out while poking through that list of titles. Of all the movies I've worked on, I've only actually seen 19 (54%) of them, and that includes 2 that aren't out yet that I'm sure I'll get around to on DVD. And of those, 6 (17%) included talking animals of some sort, because Hollywood can't make enough talking animals.
There's a lof of criticism in film these days that everything is a remake or a sequel, but surprisingly only 11 (31%) of the films I've worked on have been sequels, remakes or prequels. Even more surprising to me, 18 (51%) of them have been original properties, though I may have different criteria than some... if it has Beatles songs then I called it original, but if its based on a comic character then its not.
Last of all, how many of these films are actually good? I went through the list at rottentomatoes and a rather sad result comes up. Only 5 (14%) of these films have scored more than 50% at RT or been seen enough to earn reviews. I've worked on a handful of direct-to-DVD movies and typically if its not even good enough for a small theatrical run its not good at all. Ah well, maybe in 10 more years I'll have a few more popular sequels based on comics :P

2 comments: