November 22, 2012

Under Niagara Falls - The Moistening

One of the things I really wanted to do was go Behind the Falls.  Since we were there on the off season there only a few other visitors.  At the entrance you could see the infra-structure made to handle huge lines though. So travel tip: go off season to avoid that nonsense.  Once in, you can go practically underneath the tons of white water careening over the precipice.
Tunnels led to outlooks right behind the water.  The spray was ever changing sometimes it came back through the tunnel enough to soak you.  It was very unpredictable.  The grey through the outlook below is a seething mass of water that was hypnotic in its intensity and nebulousness.
I had a great time at the lower outlook. You can get right up to the water and since the wind was strong and blowing in the right direction you need rain gear.  You get unattractive plastic ponchos (recyclable) to wear or else you get wet. It had a hood but I decided that hoods were for wimps and got happily drenched. Apparently the photo below does not capture my hilarious grinning according to a certain husband.  I was indeed laughing my head off.

No comments:

Post a Comment