April 4, 2010

The Savage Majesty of the Hyrax

The hyrax is an exceedingly cute mammal around the size of a cat which seems to live exclusively at safari lodges. There are several types in Kenya and Tanzania but we only saw the rock hyrax (although on several nights at Sweetwaters we could hear tree hyraxes shrieking at around 4am).
Scientists which clearly understand the evidence more than myself have determined that they share common ancestors with elephants and dugongs. Something about toenails, tusks and bone structure. I'll take them on their word since it makes hyraxes even more awesome, but I never would have guessed it. They perpetually look like they're smiling, so maybe they are as pleased by this as factoid I am.
They also come in baby form and are even more ridiculously cute then. We're honestly quite surprised that they've never been a fad pet and I think when I tire of CGI I'll try and settle down with a hyrax ranch somewhere. Apparently they have a surprisingly long gestation period and take a long time to mature, so maybe that will prove to be more trouble than its worth... either way they are exceedingly adorable when they're smallest.

No comments:

Post a Comment